You will need:
- 1 medium OR 2 small zucchini(s), peeled approximately 2 cups
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth OR 2 cups water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, OR go FANCY and use 1/3 cup Mozzarella, 1/3 cup Parmesan, and 1/3 cup Gruyere
- 1/2 TSP garlic powder
- salt and pepper to your liking
- 1-2 TBSP milk (optional if it comes out too thick)
Start with the rice first. This whole process should take under 25 minutes. Boil the chicken broth in a small sauce pot and then add the rice. While the rice is cooking, we're going to prep everything else.
Peel your zucchini, and then chop them up into bite-size pieces. Grate the cheese or cheeses of you choosing. This is where you can really customize this dish. It can be totally kid friendly or parent-pleasing. Either way, you will receive rounds of applause for this little jewel!
When the rice is done after about 20 minutes, remove it from heat and quickly add all of the ingredients. All that remains is to stir it up until all of the cheese is melted.
The heat from the rice actually cooks the zucchini just enough so that it's not raw but still crunchy! This is also an excellent way to sneak some vegetables into your diet without being overwhelmed by all that green. Don't judge me!
Ok, well - I hope you like Cheesy Zucchini Rice as much as my people and I do. I've had to make it twice this week.